If you are dealing with the alignment of your teeth then you must be doing your own research on ceramic braces and the cost of the same. If you want to know everything about ceramic braces then you have landed at the right place. In this article, we have given a brief idea about the ceramic braces that can solve all your queries.
Before knowing the cost of ceramic braces you must gain knowledge about what these braces actually are and how can they be useful to you.
What are Ceramic Braces?
Ceramic braces are a feasible alternative for metallic braces that is used for the correction of teeth and pose. Basically, the ceramic braces are clear in appearance and hence look nicer on the teeth of the user as compared to the metallic braces.
As far as the built is concerned they are strong. They are the most widely used braces to correct the teeth’ alignment as they do not stain the teeth easily.
Ceramic braces perform a similar function to metal braces, but they are more popular because they feature clear or tooth-colored brackets rather than the gray or metallic silver brackets and wires. They are less noticeable, which is the reason why many people love to use ceramic braces rather than metallic ones. They are more convenient as they do not make you feel self-conscious.
Ceramic braces are less durable as compared to metal braces. There is no great science behind it as metal is sturdier than ceramic. So go for more durable metal brackets if you are a sportsperson or if you are more involved in singing, dancing, debate, or public speaking.
Pros and cons of ceramic braces
Ceramic braces do have a few pros and cons as well. Let us discuss the merits and demerits of wearing these teeth aligners.
• They’re less visible as compared to metal braces; they come either in clear color or teeth color. Hence you will never feel self-conscious while using them.
• Ceramic braces help move teeth faster than metallic aligners. Ceramic braces may take about 18 to 36 months to align your teeth properly, whereas the clear-alignment methods like Invisalign, may take a year or longer to work, even if your teeth require less correction. The Invisalign method does not work for severe cases of misalignment.
• You can find a variety of color options for ceramic braces available in the market that you can choose accordingly, whereas metal braces only come in one or two colors such as gray or shiny metallic color.
• While doing imaging tests metallic braces disrupt signals but you will not face this problem in the case of ceramic braces.
• They are way too costly as compared to metallic braces; they may cost at least $1,000 to $2,000 more than metal braces.
• You may experience gum sensitivity while wearing these braces. Ceramic brackets measure larger than the metal braces; which may make it harder to clean around the brackets. This will ultimately result in swollen gums or receding gums as your toothbrush doesn’t reach the enamel and gumline.
• Ceramic braces are slightly less durable than metal ones. Ceramic braces are more than twice breakable as compared to metal brackets. The debonding process, through which the glue is removed, also causes damage to the tooth enamel.
Who can wear ceramic braces?
Ceramic braces are recommended for those who have got all of their adult teeth; which will ensure a quick correction and a lower chance of breaking off brackets due to the strain of tooth movement.
If you want to wear subtle braces then ceramic braces are the best choice. They come in tooth color or white color that makes them less noticeable. If you are a working person and are exposed to the public all the time then you may go for these invisible braces that do not draw other’s attention.
How much do ceramic braces cost?
On average, ceramic braces may cost you about $4,000 to $8,000 for the total duration you keep them on your teeth. The cost of ceramic brackets is $1000-$2000 more than the metal braces ($3,000 to $6,000) and the clear, removable aligners like Invisalign ($3000-$8000).
Like other braces, Health insurance or dental insurance plans do not cover the ceramic braces treatment. If you want to have them covered under an insurance plan then you need to purchase a separate orthodontic plan. However, the cost of these plans may vary from state to state.
The insurance will cover the cost of the ceramic braces even if your insurance plan covers the orthodontic expenses.
Further, the cost of the ceramic braces may vary depending on who is wearing them. If your teeth are slightly misaligned then it may cost you less because it will take less time to rectify the alignment of your teeth. Similarly, it may take longer to align the highly misaligned teeth, and hence it will cost more.
The price of ceramic brackets can cost you more than $500, which may vary from person to person depending on the size. Another expense that you may expect is the fees of your orthodontist. Many orthodontists provide a flexible fee structure like they charge a lesser amount for the second or third visits.
However, a few renowned doctors may charge more than you expect, but you can be assured of their productivity. That means a renowned doctor is more reliable and expensive as well. So it completely depends on you how much you want to spend on the teeth alignment treatment. So we recommend you make proper planning before visiting an orthodontist.
How long does Ceramic Braces treatment take?
Ceramic braces take about 18-36 months to properly straighten your teeth, as compared to metallic braces that take less than 1 year up to 3 years to align your teeth.
Ceramic brackets need to be replaced more often to protect them from breaking under pressure, which ultimately leads to slower adjustment time.
Further, the straightening process may take longer because ceramic brackets are prone to breakage, resulting in delays in the straightening process between visits to the orthodontist.
How to take care of Ceramic Braces?
Here are a few care tips that you can follow to protect your ceramic braces:
• Try to brush and floss after every meal so that it helps remove food residue that may cause staining.
• Avoid having foods and drinks like tomatoes, wine, coffee, tea, soda, or condiments like ketchup and mustard that leave stains or lead to discoloration.
• Don’t smoke while using ceramic braces; it may leave yellowish stains on your teeth and all components of your braces.
• Never use whitening toothpaste because it can make the exposed tooth surface whiter than the tooth underneath.
• Visit your doctor regularly as he can suggest when to replace the stained ceramic brackets or ties as needed.
Ceramic braces can be a great choice if you do not want to get noticeable. But they may not last longer like the metallic ones. They are more expensive than other alignment treatments and stain your teeth more easily. But ceramic braces are popularly adopted alignment treatments for people who are conscious about their looks. People who are continuously exposed to the public opt for ceramic braces; the college-goers, working people, speakers, and actors are a few examples of this category.
In this article, we have tried to discuss all possible facts about ceramic braces along with their cost. If you are still confused then you must consider our conclusive words.
Finally, we recommend you talk to your dentist or orthodontist before you go for any dental treatments. Make a proper expenditure plan including the cost of the braces and doctor fees to avoid any kind of hassles later. Doing so will save your hard-earned money and valuable time.
Also, know about how much does an invisible brace cost.