If you want to purchase a lathe machine for household purposes and wondering how much do they really cost, then here is a complete guide for you. With our article, you not only gain knowledge about how much does a lathe machine cost but also can know about their features and usefulness.
What is a Lathe Machine?
A lathe machine is a useful tool that can rotate a work-piece on its axis to perform various purposes like cutting, sanding, and knurling. These machines are useful in producing different products such as cue sticks, table legs, baseball bats, and different musical instruments.
There are different types of lathe machines available in the market depending on their shape, size as well as different power outputs. The powerful machines are available at a high price.
Types of Lathe machines:
You can find five types of lathes commonly available in the market. The CNC lathes are computer-based numerically controlled machines. Besides this, there are engine lathes, special purpose lathes, tool-room lathes, and wood lathes that you can purchase depending on your requirements.
The machine may or may not feature legs. The machines that do not feature legs are designed to be set on a table that allows the user to elevate the working height.
You must know about the feeds, the cutting speed, the depth of the desired cut, and the usage of the tool before purchasing a lathe machine. However, it is important to use the machine properly to avoid injuries or any sort of mishandling.
A lathe machine features a headstock, tool post, and tailstock. The headstock holds the piece in place so that it can be rotated at certain speeds, referred to as RPM, similarly as an automobile.
The tool post is located in the middle of the headstock and tailstock and can slide on the X and Y-axis. This is an important and necessary part because it performs the operation on the object fixed on the tool post.
Lastly, the tailstock holds the work-piece in place that aligns with the center of the Chuck, which is a part used that holds the device if the work-piece is too long. This part can also hold additional attachments.
All machines feature a horizontal beam, but a few CNC models feature an inclined bed to help the debris to fall free of the bed.
How much does a lathe machine cost?
A lathe machine can be purchased at less than $75 for household usage to over $55,000+ for the machines that are used in a commercial factory. We can easily understand by analyzing it in a better way. Lathes that we use for household use can cost you around less than $75 to more than $1,500.
Cost of Different Types of Lathe Machines:
• A lathe machine having bed length 4.5/5/6 Feet, spindle speed 1500 RPM, and motor with 2HP strength can cost you around $2500.
• Lathe machines with bed length 6/7 feet, spindle speed of 1535 RPM, and a motor having the strength of 3HP will cost you $3,000.
• He lathes machine can cost you around $5,000 having bed length dimension 7/9/12/14 feet, spindle speed 1550 RPM, and motor strength of 5 HP.
• Lathe machines are available at $70 having bed length 16″, spindle speed 660 to 4,000 RPM, and motor strength of 1/2 HP.
• You can purchase lathe machines at $50,000 having bed width 755 mm and main motor power 22kw.
You have to spend some more bucks if it does not feature a taper machined on it. However, it is a very rare circumstance. You will need an accessory to mount the work-piece to a spindle.
Uses of Lathe Machines:
We usually use a lathe machine for operations like spinning a metal, turn wood, any glass and/or metal object. The machine also performs other functions such as knurling, cutting, sanding, and drilling. The working of the machine can vary with every operation and desired cuts.
We can give examples of the most common types of lathe operations that include facing, taper turning, contour turning, form turning, chamfering, cut-off, threading, boring, and drilling.
To perform all the above actions, we may need several cutting tools such as carbide tip tools, a grooving tool, cut-off blade, parting blades, boring bar, and side tools.
Best-Selling Lathe machines:
The lathe machine is suitable for a novice woodturner. It is available in an affordable range and is a very user-friendly fast lathe. If professionals want to add a mini lathe machine to their shop then it is a perfect choice. The lathe has got a sturdy construction and is powered by corded electricity. This machine will cost you $499.99.
• Brand: JET
• Item Weight: 77 pounds
• Product Dimensions: 35 x 18.1 x 14.56 inches
• Style: Woodworking lathe
• Power Source: Corded-electric
• Voltage: 115 volts
• Number of Handles: 2
• Increased Rigidity: Wider bed ways.
• It includes 1 JPW Manufactured Product.
• The lathe comes with six Spindle Speeds; 500/840/1,240/1,800/2,630/3,975.
• The machine has got integrated 24-position indexing.
The mini-lathe has got a sturdy construction and 5-speed ranges that help boring barrel holes, roughing out pen billets, turning to shape, and finishing. The lathe also features a self ejecting tailstock and has easy access to speed change. This machine will cost you $349.99.
• Brand: RIKON
• Item Weight: 74 pounds
• Product Dimensions: 35.5 x 10.5 x 14.75 inches
• Material: Plastic/Metal
• Voltage: 120 volts
• Wattage: 375 watts
• Measurement System: Metric
• The package includes lathe, spur center, wrenches, rubber feet, live center, manual, and 6″ tool rest.
• This mini lathe features a ½ motor.
• It gives 10” swing and 18” between centers.
• The machine features 5 Speed ranges that cover the bases for boring barrel holes, roughing out pen billets, turning to shape, and finishing.
You will get one 1/3 Horsepower bench top lathe with variable speed motor in this package. It has got a strong cast iron construction that makes the machine more durable. The lathe includes two tool rests. It is ideal for pen turning and small projects. This machine will cost you $278.16.
• Brand: Shop Fox
• Item Weight: 48.5 pounds
• Product Dimensions: 7.1 x 27.9 x 13.7 inches
• Power Source: Corded-electric
• Horsepower: 0.33 hp
• Motor: 1/3 HP,
• Amperage: 2 Amp,
• 110V, Single-phase, 60 Hz
• The machine features a 12-inch distance between centers.
• 8-inch swing over bed
• The lathe has got a cast iron construction and infinitely variable speed control.
• The machine includes two tool rests.
The lathe machine has got a powerful motor and comes with a 12-Inch by 18-Inch Variable Speed feature. You will also get an MT2 spindle and tailstock taper for compatibility with all your favorite chucks and centers. The lathe features an easy to use lever clamping system that makes adjustments to both the tool rest and the tailstock simple and precise. This will cost you $412.22.
• Brand: WEN
• Item Weight: 77.8 pounds
• Package Dimensions: 33.5 x 19 x 13.5 inches
• It features a 4.5-amp motor.
• The lathe comes with a variable speed feature.
• The package contains one 12-Inch by 18-Inch cast Ironwood lathe.
• You can adjust the variable speed from 450 to 3500 rotations per minute.
• The lathe includes a digital speed display, an 8-inch tool rest, a faceplate, a live center, a spur center, and a two-year warranty.
The lathe can process wood, plastic, soft metals (aluminum, copper, etc.), softwood, and hardwood. It is made of advanced aluminum alloy that makes the lathe durable and non-deformable. It features a three-jaw chuck clamping diameter: with 13mm claw and 45mm reverse claw. This lathe costs you $230.00.
• Brand: Cjc
• Input voltage: AC110V
• Output voltage : DC12V 2A
• Motor rated power: 24W
• Motor speed: High-speed motor 20000r/min ± 15%
• Low-speed motor: 10000r/min ± 15%
• Spindle speed: high-speed motor 3000r/min±15%
• Low-speed motor: 1600r/min ± 15%
• Spindle jump: <0.1mm
• Large slider stroke: 45mm
• Small slider stroke: 35mm
• Center height: 25mm
• Center distance: 110mm
• Maximum processing diameter: 13mm positive claw, 45mm reverse claw
• Three-jaw chuck clamping diameter: 13mm claw, 45mm reverse claw
• Handle scale: 0.1mm/division
• Packing size: 230mm*200mm*315mm
• Weight: 2.2KG
Lathe machine is a great tool to solve the cutting and sanding worries. If you are searching online a good quality lathe machine then you can definitely check out the suggested products that we have discussed above. All these lathe machines are available on amazon.com. If you want to know more about these products then you can click on the link to read the customer reviews to select the best one for yourself. If you ask us to recommend online shops then we will suggest the largest shopping website; amazon.com. However, you can visit the shops nearby your home if you are not an online shopping lover. However, you can purchase a used machine to save up to 40 percent or more. Last but not the least, by now you have a clear idea on how much does a Lathe Machine cost.