Are you a skateboard person? Are you a fun and thrill lover? Do you like to drive on a skateboard? If yes, then you must be jumbling around a few questions. Can I buy a skateboard? How much does a skateboard cost? Will buying a skateboard make a big hole in my pocket? Or, is a costly skateboard better than a cheap skateboard?
Well, we are here to take care of all your queries. In this article, we will try to answer all the questions that roam around in your mind right now. Before thinking about the cost of a skateboard, you should always have a better knowledge about the skateboards, their types, and various components of a skateboard. All these things will help you to choose the right kind of skateboard in your budget.
What is a skateboard?
A skateboard is a short narrow board that a person uses to have a fun ride in a standing or crouching position with one foot while pushing the other against the ground. The skateboard has two wheels fixed at either end on the bottom to make it run.
A skateboard is one type of sports equipment that a person uses both in skateboarding sport and for a personal fun ride. Usually, it has a Maplewood body that comes combined with a polyurethane coating for making the sides smoother. It is a strong and durable board and comes in different types.
Types of skateboard
Skateboards are available in different varieties in the market. Let us discuss all of them one by one.
Cruiser Boards come with decks of shorter length and it is used for cruising rides on streets. The board best performs in carves or tight turns. It is recommended for pro skateboarders.
Longboards are long in size and perfect for long trips in downhill racing or cruising. A beginner can easily ride it because of its long and safe design.
There are old school skateboards available in the market that you can use in ramps, streets, or skating pools. It has a fishtail deck to give a vintage look.
Mini Skateboards are specially designed for children who like to have fun on a skateboard. It is the perfect board for a child to start skateboarding.
Mini skateboards are for children who like to skate. They are small in sizes that range from 6.75 inches to 7.25 inches wide.
You will also find mini cruisers in the market that comes with a small skateboard and wider and softer wheels. You can use it in a downhill race to perform tricks.
How much does a decent skateboard cost?
You can purchase a skateboard in a cheap range of $15- $25. You can also purchase a skateboard for more than $400. But, you can buy a decent skateboard for $60-$150. However, a high-quality skateboard may cost you around $200 and above.
W can categorize the full ranges of the skateboards with their cost for different types of uses:
• You can spend $60-$400 for a classic skateboard that is best for either cruising or tricks.
• A $60-$500 longboard is a better choice for cruising, carving, and downhill racing.
• A street skateboard can come within $70-$200 that you can use on-street racing or riding.
• And if you want to customize one skateboard then it may cost you around $90-$500.
How much does it cost to build a skateboard at home?
If you want to buy a skateboard on your own then it may cost you around $100-120 if you consider the lowest price rather than the quality. But the quality may differ compared to the complete assembled skateboard available in the market.
If you are a beginner you can make your own skateboard at home without spending too much on a skateboard in the supermarkets. Let us discuss how much each individual part will cost?
• Price of a skateboard deck can cost you around $50, depending on the materials that you chose to use. You can also find cheaper ones for $25-$30. But high-quality material delivers greater performances.
• Price of Trucks can be around $30 for an average quality truck.
• Quality wheels may come somewhere around $20. However, the high-grade wheels are available at $50 in the market.
• You can purchase the bearings for $15-$200. You can purchase low-cost bearings but you have to clean them regularly for their longer life.
• You can buy the hardware bolts to join the deck and trucks for $3. You have to also purchase a spacer for your bearings to avoid dirt and rubbing, which will cost you $2.
Best Selling Skateboards, their cost, and Features
Skateboards are available in different varieties and price ranges in the market. Here in this article, we have curated a list of a few good quality skateboards that you can afford to buy. These products are the best sellers and have a very good customer rating on amazon.com.
The super-portable design of this skateboard wins hearts. It is easy to carry this skateboard for cruising and riding. The skateboard has double kick tails that made mannies, ollies, flip tricks, and general tick-tracking fun and exciting. It is made of super quality maple wood. The trucks are made of high-quality gravity cast aluminum. The skateboard will cost you $79.99.
• Width of the deck: 7.5 Inches
• Material: Maple
• Length of the deck: 27.5 inches
• Item Weight: 6 pounds
• Wheel material: Polyurethane
• Wheel size: 60 millimeters
• Load Capacity: 275 pounds
• Durometer hardness: Shore 78A
• Wheelbase: 18.5″
2. Swagtron Swagskate NG-3 Electric Skateboard for Kids, Teens | Kick-Assist A.I. Smart Sensors | Mini E-Cruiser Skateboard w/Move-More/Endless Mode | 9” Deck 72mm Wheels (NG-3)
You can cut, carve and coast like a pro with this skateboard from Swagtron. The intelligently spaced sensors can detect the weight and speed and automatically stops the board as soon as you dismount the skateboard. The polyurethane wheels make you handle the pavements like a pro skateboarder. The product has sturdy built and will cost you $129.99
• Product dimensions: 19.6 x 8.85 x 5.3 inches
• Weight: 7.7 Pounds
• 72mm (2. 8 in) polyurethane wheels help to handle pavement like a pro.
• Deck width: 8.9 inches
• Optimum speed: 9.3 mph
• Color: black
• Wheel material: polyurethane
• Deck material: polypropylene
3. M Merkapa 31″ Pro Complete Skateboard 7 Layer Canadian Maple Double Kick Deck Concave Skateboards with Tool
The skateboard from M Merkapa comes in a durable design and has a lovely finish. The product is a good choice for personal skaters to perform tricks and have a fun skateboarding experience. The wheels provide the rider with proper stability and better weight distribution of the deck. The aluminum alloy trucks enable easy turning. This skateboard will cost you $72.99.
• Product Dimensions : 31 x 8 x 6.3 inches
• Weight: 5.55 Pounds
• Deck dimensions : 31” Long x 8” Wide
• 7-Ply Super-Flex maple wood built
• Wheels dimensions: 52*32mm
• 100a PU HR wheels for better performance
• V-truck and base: 127mm hanger 7.6” axle
• Heavy-duty high-quality aluminum trucks for easy turning
• Bearing: ABEC-9 Bearing
The skateboard comes with a bottle opener design. It has got a seven-ply construction and a kicktail to make it stronger and durable. The Skateboard will cost you $150.00.
• Package Dimensions : 27.5 x 9 x 5 inches;
• Weight: 1 Pound
• Seven-ply construction
• Dimensions: 8.8 by 27.7 inches
• Wheelbase: 16.5 inches
• Nose: 2.7 inches
• Kicktail: 4.3 inches
• Trucks: Bullet B137 trucks
• Hardware: Bullet
• Bearings: ABEC 5
• Wheels: Road Rider 65-millimeter 78A wheels
• Bottle opener in the bottom of the deck
This is a 125-watt electric skateboard and has a rear-wheel-drive motor under the feet that comes with a remote control to operate the skateboard. The skateboard can speed up to 10 mph or 16 km/h for up to 40 minutes of continuous use. The skateboard costs you $199.99.
• Product Dimensions : 29.53 x 4.33 x 8.07 inches
• Weight: 13 Pounds
• Material: Maple wood
• Wheel size: 83 millimeters
• Maximum load capacity of the skateboard: 220 pounds.
• 29. 7 inches (754 mm) deck length and high-quality 5-ply Maple deck for a lightweight ride.
Last but not the least, a skateboard is a fun sport and needs a lot of control and balance while skateboarding. So, you must choose a high-quality product to ensure the utmost safety for you. The other aspect you need to consider before buying a skateboard is its cost. So you can research thoroughly before going for one product.
If you are worried about where to buy a skateboard then we will suggest both online and offline stores. You can check out the above-discussed products that seem pretty affordable. You can also go through other available products on amazon.com that comes in your budget.
If you are purchasing the skateboard offline from supermarkets then there will be a guide who will make you understand each product they showcase in their store. However, as a beginner, you can build your own skateboard by purchasing different parts, if you are comfortable with it.